[Talk-us] administrative boundaries and Nominatim

Metcalf, Calvin (DOT) calvin.metcalf at state.ma.us
Mon Jul 30 13:25:48 BST 2012

So I'm somewhat confused about how nominatim actually works. A good example is the building I work in (10 park plaza Boston ma) the version of nominitum on the website gets the correct location on the first try (note mapquest has it as the 3rd result) but they have it as being
10, Park Plaza, Central Square, Bay Village, Middlesex, Massachusetts, 02116, United States of America.
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=21777524
The "Central Square",  "Bay Village" and "Middlesex" are what are confusing me as they look to be points and I'm not sure what the deal is with poi points vs admin polygons. And why Boston the city doesn't come up.

For those unfamiliar with the area Central Square is an unofficial neighborhood in Cambridge, the next down over, bay village is the correct unofficial neighborhood that the address is in (the official is Downtown Crossing according to city of Boston), and Middlesex is the County next door (Cambridge is in it, the address is in Suffolk county).