[Talk-us] Seeing things you don't care about in the database

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 00:47:01 BST 2012

On 6/11/2012 7:17 PM, Mark Gray wrote:
> On one hand, I share the frustration of having lots of new data in
> an area making some of our tools slower and more difficult to use.
> In my area a building footprint import slowed down most of the
> mapping tools and land use polygons can get in the way of editing
> roads.

I agree with this. But I'm not sure that there is a solution. You can
use XAPI/Overpass API to download only roads in an area, but you get
conflicts (or worse, you move a node and screw up something else without
realizing it) when nodes are shared with other non-downloaded features.
This can happen directly (road passing through a building or the IMO bad
practice of using roads as landuse borders) or indirectly (e.g. road -
parking lot - building - landuse).