[Talk-us] holes in Columbus OH?

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Tue Jun 12 12:52:15 BST 2012

* Peter Dobratz <peter at dobratz.us> [2012-06-12 00:45 -0400]:
> There seem to be a lot of holes in the multipolygon relation, and it
> seems strange to me that there are so many places within the city that
> are not part of the city.  Is anyone more familiar with this area that
> give an explanation for this?

It's not uncommon for cities to have unusual shapes, including holes like
that, as they can have annexed land around but not within a given area.

In the specific case of Columbus, the holes look legitimate.  I looked up
Columbus on Wikipedia and found this map of the city:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Columbus_Overview_Map-150dpi.png

The white part is the city proper and the colored parts are independent
suburbs, which seems to match (to a first approximation) the OSM data.