[Talk-us] Duplicate GNIS points

Tue Jun 19 22:52:30 BST 2012

At 2012-06-19 14:36, Anthony J. Bentley wrote:
>What's the proper thing to do when there are multiple GNIS ids for the
>same node?
>
>For instance:
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=35.131959&lon=-106.516827&zoom=18&layers=M
>
>There are two identical nodes with identical coordinates:
>Saint Stephens United Methodist Church, gnis:feature_id=939399
>Saint Stephen's United Methodist Church, gnis:feature_id=914456
>
>Obviously these are meant to be the same point.'

Agreed - delete the one that has the wrong spelling. We should probably try
to feed this info back to USGS (http://geonames.usgs.gov/) somehow.

>  What's the proper way to
>merge these together, since a node can't have two gnis:feature_id tags?

Sure it can :) key=value1;value2;value3... is the correct way to add
multiple values for a key.

>Another example has three entries:
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=35.081997&lon=-106.61987&zoom=18&layers=M
>University Art Museum (gnis:feature_id=929517)
>Jonson Gallery of the University Art Museum (gnis:feature_id=929518)
>Jonson Gallery (gnis:feature_id=933296)

In this case, it looks like there is one node for the whole museum and
another for the specific gallery. I'd delete the third one, place the first
in the middle of the whole museum (or on a closed way surrounding it), and
the second in the approximate position of that gallery.