[Talk-us] Adding Tiger 2011 Data

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 03:11:00 GMT 2012

I pulled up this area in JOSM:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=32.31342&lon=-111.02699&zoom=15&layers=M

Something definitely went wrong here that you need to figure out and fix.

1) A lot of the ways are not connected to each other. This means they
are not usable for routing. In JOSM junction nodes show up as bigger
squares. One should exist anywhere one road intersects another. Just
having a node at the same location so it looks connected is not
enough. You need to merge the two nodes into one junction node.

2) there are duplicate nodes. These are what is creating the red
circles in P2. Somehow you duplicated most of the nodes in the area.
Once, they are there as the member of a way. Then there is a second
copy in the exact same location but it is not a member of any way,
just an empty node.

3) Some of the ways are over-noded. For example, North Orangetip Drive
is a short, straight street. It only needs 3 nodes to represent it.
One at the south end, one where it connects to West Leafwing Drive and
one where it connects to West Greenstreak Drive. But you imported it
with 29 nodes. The same goes for several roads right around it.

Imports are hard to get right.

Toby