[Talk-us] Adding Tiger 2011 Data

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Mar 1 03:40:39 GMT 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Please don't any more for a bit. Share with the list your recent
>>> changesets, and the scripts you are using to convert the files. Also see the
>>> manual conflation article on the wiki for my process. I can send a link when
>>> I'm at a desktop.
>>
>> I'm not using scripts.  It is all manual cut and past as described in the
>> manual conflation wiki article.  After copying the tiger data, the new way
>> needs to be assigned the appropriate highway type, in my case it is all
>> residential.  Then the name needs to be added.  Copying in the tiger data
>> gives a Key value of FULLNAME.  The FULLNAME is copied into a name key.
>>  With the street names in this area of Tucson, the direction, i.e. N is
>> expanded and the suffix, ln, dr, pl, etc. also need expanding.   As you
>> mention in the wiki, the new ways need to be connected to the existing ways.
>

> The important part is what tool you used to generate the OSM files from
> TIGER2011 data in the first place. Did you download it from somewhere?

Yes, I meant scripts that generated the OSM files. I converted my
county's data (which has more attributes and is more recent than
TIGER, but feeds into it) to OSM files, which I documented here (not
mentioned is the "glomming" I did to join segments with identical
attributes, or the simplifying I did):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Fairfax_County,_Virginia/Roads

and have been using it with the manual conflation process I described here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Manual_conflation

It does take quite some practice to do correctly and efficiently.
-Josh