[Talk-us] suburban superblocks that nobody wants to survey

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:59:47 GMT 2012

On 3/15/2012 8:52 AM, Hillsman, Edward wrote:
> On 3/14/2012 21:18:57 -0400 Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>
>> Depending on the state or local government, you may be able to verify
>> names against an official dataset. Otherwise subdivision plats work for
>> the endless suburban superblocks that nobody wants to survey.
>
> In the interest of figuring out how to attract more people to participate in OSM, I'd like to see some more discussion of this. Is it generally true that people who work on OSM don't like to map subdivisions? And, if so, why? Because these are home to so many people in the US, it raises a question about the viability of strategies that suggest people start in OSM by mapping their own neighborhoods.

I was talking specifically about driving through these neighborhoods to
get street names. Obviously if you live there it's different, or if you
live nearby and exercise by bike. But driving through subdivisions far
from home has a high cost-to-benefit ratio - lots of driving and all you
get is street names, since everything else is single-family houses.