[Talk-us] New local groups

Mike N niceman at att.net
Tue Mar 27 01:48:15 BST 2012

On 3/26/2012 10:52 AM, Richard Weait wrote:
> What incentive would it take to push you over the edge to make you
> actually do it?

  I tend to be a hands-on person, and ultimately the motivation would be
that there is an immensely useful data consumer.   It doesn't help that
the first project I worked on in OSM (a rails-to-trail fitness trail)
just got a map applet commissioned for it.  You'd think they'd have used
OSM data?   No, they sent out their own team to survey all the drinking
fountains, ATMs, restaurants, and POIs along the trail, put them into
their own app and released that separately.

   Even the premiere OSM Nav app (Skobbler's Nav2) doesn't yet use OSM
address data in the US because there just isn't enough of it.  And for
cases where I've entered OSM address data for popular destinations, they
haven't yet begun to use OSM address data.

   Now with a bunch of South Carolina's capitol city losing most of the
roads and local knowledge due to the license change, an opportunity
would be to advertise the situation: "Fill in the missing roads around
our city" and start some meetups that way.   It's a bit far for me to
travel for six meetings though.