[Talk-us] Using TIGER to find missing road segments in OSM after license change

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:48:55 BST 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:

> I initially just sent this to Ian Dees, but maybe there are others on this
> list
> that are thinking of doing this or could help.
>
> Considering the upcoming license change and it's impact (many roads
> that may become missing), I was thinking more about using TIGER 2011
> to find roads that seem to be missing in the OSM database. My PostGIS
> skills are nil, but it seems like it should be a fairly trivial query
> to buffer the
> OSM ways and find TIGER segments which don't intersect the buffered ways.
> Hardest part will then be scaling this up to all 3140 counties. Later we
> could
> continue to utilize the resource by extending this work to progressively
> get
> more intelligent by splitting ways into two node segments to get more
> accurate
> results, and maybe do string matching to highlight name problems. Oh and
> flagging of erroneous data in TIGER. And maybe stats per county, and ...
>
> This requires hardware resources and people with skills to manage the large
> database and ideally move towards weekly/daily/minutely updates, and
> to generate tiles showing the missing segments. Anyone interested in
> helping with this?

I started playing with this last night and ended up with the Chicago area
metro extract from Mike and the Cook County TIGER roads data as layers in
QGIS. Next up is to play with various queries to find missing roads in OSM.
I like the idea of buffer and joining as a start and will probably move
over to PostGIS to do that.

I'd love to hear from anyone else that has ideas.