[Talk-us] Difficult USA mapper(s)

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Nov 3 16:18:19 GMT 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:

> Martijn van Exel writes:
>  > But to come back to Richard Weait's original questions: Yes, I think
>  > the DWG should act on behalf of the US community here even though it
>  > seems to be a matter of conduct instead of a pure data issue.
>
> I agree also.

I agree that DWG has the authority to act, here.  But as I understand it,
the authority of DWG comes from OSMF, not from the OSM community.

If DWG wants to act on behalf of the OSM community, then their members
should be appointed by the OSM community, not by OSMF.

Additionally, now would be a good time to work toward more formal standards
for tagging.  While I disagree that mappers should be bound by unwritten
convention, I do think it would be useful to adopt RFC-style agreed upon
tagging standards.