[Talk-us] Feature proposal: proposed expanded address tagging scheme for US

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Nov 18 23:07:57 GMT 2012

Steve,
I suggest you start your proposal with a problem statement and then explain
how your solution solves the problem. Otherwise it looks to me to be a
solution looking for a problem. Do we have any data to suggest that the
current street addresses do not work? Why is it just a US problem?

If you provide a problem statement then we can have a discussion about 1)
is it a real problem and how big is it and 2) what is the best way to solve
the problem.

Clifford

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Steven Johnson <sejohnson8 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
> Following up on an action from SotM-PDX, I've posted a proposal for
> expanded tagging for addresses, primarily in the US (though it may have
> application in other countries). The intent of the tags is to 1) improve
> the description of US addresses, and 2) provide greater flexibility for
> local mappers. These tags are necessary because unlike other countries, the
> US has no nationwide house numbering/street naming standard. These tags
> provide more granularity for local mappers and hopefully, will reduce much
> of the ambiguity and confusion with addresses in localities with widely
> varying address schemes.
>
> I invite your comments and discussion on the proposed tags. Thanks.
>

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/House_numbers/UnitedStates
>
> -- SEJ
> -- twitter: @geomantic
> -- skype: sejohnson8
>
> "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
> -- Einstein

Clifford

I have promised to cut down on my swearing and drinking, which I have.
 Unfortunately, this has left me dim-witted and nearly speechless. Adapted
from *The Lion* by Nelson DeMille

-or-

 Albert Einstein