[Talk-us] Feature proposal: proposed expanded address tagging scheme for US

Bill R. WASHBURN dygituljunky at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 00:52:43 GMT 2012

How would this proposal treat The By Way NE (way 9186730)? Would it be
completely broken down with "By" being by itself? Would it treat it like
TIGER does, with "The By" separate from "Way"? Neither case makes sense for
the local colloquial or for GPS device name searches.

I can see strict adherence to the proposal leading to complete butchering
the recognition of the road name if the search engine isn't updated to
recognize that there are additional fields. If the name is left as complete
in the name and addr:street fields, I'm not sure that I understand the
utility of the proposal (but I'm not personally opposed to an overabundance
of data, as long as the burden to maintain that data doesn't outweigh it's
utility).

Here's a thought: how would this differ from just leaving the TIGER data
tags attached to the way? (In which my earlier example of North Decatur
Road is incorrectly broken down as "N" "Decatur" and "Rd" ... see way
80428428)

I think I'm echoing an earlier call to more clearly state the problem in
the proposal so that we understand what the proposal aims to solve. I think
I'm also echoing calls for the proposal to more clearly define how existing
data is to be treated, for the sake of clarity.