[Talk-us] Feature proposal: proposed expanded address tagging scheme for US

Apollinaris Schöll aschoell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 21:51:26 GMT 2012

relations seem to be a elegant solution for people with technology
background. And all your arguments are good ones

BUT they have quite some disadvantages. Too many non techies have problems
to get the concept right. As a result they break existing relations or they
are scared away from editing osm. osm should be easy to use for many and
creating a technology barrier for newcomers is dangerous.
On top of that many editors have limited or broken support. As far as I
know only JOSM and P2 have solid and well tested relation support.

For a data consumer it's a challenge too. relations are a lot harder to
process. And even if an application adds relation support it still can't
drop the other scheme(s)