[Talk-us] Feature proposal: proposed expanded address tagging scheme for US

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 21 22:48:00 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 21.11.2012 22:51, Apollinaris Schöll wrote:
> relations seem to be a elegant solution for people with technology
> background. And all your arguments are good ones
>
> BUT they have quite some disadvantages. Too many non techies have
> problems to get the concept right. As a result they break existing
> relations or they are scared away from editing osm. osm should be easy
> to use for many and creating a technology barrier for newcomers is
> dangerous.
> On top of that many editors have limited or broken support. As far as I
> know only JOSM and P2 have solid and well tested relation support.
>
> For a data consumer it's a challenge too. relations are a lot harder to
> process. And even if an application adds relation support it still can't
> drop the other scheme(s)

+1.

It is very common for "IT types" to request dropping of addr:street & co
in favour of an "associatedStreet" relation or similar - it makes
perfect sense from the perspective of a database designer. But every
time we respond essentially with Apo's words above - nothing beats
addr:street in terms of sheer simplicity for everyone involved.

Bye
Frederik