[Talk-us] TIGER expansion bot

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 03:23:26 GMT 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 27, 2012, Toby Murray wrote:

>> > Another clarification for this use case:
>> > A user changes the original highway name tag from "Main St SW" to "SW
>> > Main
>> > Street", but did not alter the tiger tags.
>> >
>> > So - if the street name has been edited and the tiger tags were left
>> > unchanged (and now do not match the street name), the bot will not
>> > change
>> > the street name value, correct? In other words, the tiger tags will not
>> > override anything in the highway:name tag if its been edited, correct?
>>
>> Time for concrete examples and tests.
>>
>> I just ran a test file through the bot. It had a single way in it with
>> the following tags:
>> highway=residential
>> name=Main St SW
>> tiger:name_base=Main
>> tiger:name_type=St
>> tiger:name_direction_suffix=SW
>>
>> This resulted in the name being expanded to "Main Street Southewst"
>>
>> Then I left all tags the same but changed name="Southwest Main Street"
>> and the bot did not make any changes.
>>
>> This seems correct to me.
>

> Depends on where.   Some places really do suffix the direction, so if TIGER
> was representative of local practice, then "Main Street Southwest" would be
> accurate.

This wasn't a discussion about local practices and TIGER data. The
point was that the bot doesn't override a real mapper who has changed
the name of the road from local knowledge but left the tiger:* tags
untouched.

Please, if you have specific examples, run them through the bot
yourself or send a way ID or osm.org permalink. If we want to actually
get this done, we need concrete tests not abstract discussions.

To run it yourself you can download a tiny area in JOSM that only
contains part of the way you want to test. Save it out to a file and
then run the bot on that file and examine the output. All it takes is:
python tiger.py --infile <downloaded file> --outdir <directory for
result> --checkways <csv file>

Toby