[Talk-us] US Addressing

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 04:36:30 GMT 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, November 29, 2012, Mike N wrote:
>
>> On 11/29/2012 10:32 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a compelling reason not to get parcels instead?  As parcels
>>> change shape, the centroid can be easily interpolated.  It's not really
>>> possible to extrapolate geometry from centroid, however.
>>>

>>  It would be useful to navigate to address points - properly placed, they
>> will lead to the building of interest or driveway.   Centroids on large
>> parcels will frequently misdirect to a side street with no access.
>>

> So map the driveways and buildings, too.  I mean, how core are we?

My hope is that we can get the best address points added to OSM then we
improve on it when needed. Automating the repetitive task of address entry
by converting existing government data is a huge step to getting addressing
coverage. Once we get it in there we can move it/correct it in less time.

We should probably decide now if the goal of OSM's address points should be
rooftop or driveway points. It sounds like we're mostly in agreement that
it should be rooftop.