[Talk-us] Address push part deux: tracking licenses, notifications, etc.

Jeff Meyer jeff at gwhat.org
Fri Nov 30 19:45:07 GMT 2012

Ignoring right / wrong methods to managing the actual importing of
importing for a moment, what's the right / wrong way to *track various
permissions* received for use of data?

(1) Data use / contributor tracking?

For example, I've added Seattle's permission to use their data (yay! -
kudos to Cliff Snow for getting this rolling) at:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#City_of_Seattle.2C_Washington
.

However, this page could quickly grow to be pretty unwieldy if it had
statements like this for every municipality or agency that grants
permission.

(2) Permission e-mail archival?

I'd like to make sure the thread attached at the bottom of this email is
saved in the case of any questions about permissions.

(3) Source crediting in imports?

Ok... this is sort of an import question, but how do we / should we credit
each imported item with a link or tie to the appropriate use statement /
contributor? If so, is there a convention for this tagging? e.g.
source:address="City of Seattle Master Address File"; source:address_url:"
data.seattle.gov"; source:address_file:"
https://data.seattle.gov/dataset/Master-Address-File/3vsa-a788"
I realize this could be stored in a changeset marking, but that seems
fairly obscure & more difficult to find for the average bear than just
tagging the various points, etc.

Thanks,
Jeff