[Talk-us] US chapter board meeting

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Oct 24 23:02:57 GMT 2012

Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> writes:

> The newly elected US Chapter board will have its first official
> meeting tonight at 5PM PDT / 8PM EDT. We're going to try a Google
> Hangout. Everyone is welcome to listen in!
>
> https://plus.google.com/events/c91rctgp4ia8cq3ffqo914lvvus

(I'm not a member, and I'm not likely to attend these meetings anyway;
my time available for OSM is erratic.)

I realize google hangouts may be convenient (and free), but I've been
concerned by a growing trend in free software (to include open data)
projects to use proprietary tools and services, and particularly
services that have bad privacy practices.  I realize I'm in a minority
by declining to have a google account or a facebook account, but I
think that from an open project governance viewpoint people shouldn't be
encouraged to deal with google/facebook/etc.

That said, I don't have any concrete or useful suggestions about
alternatives (beyond IRC or XMPP).  I just felt compelled to point out
the issue.