[Talk-us] US chapter board meeting

the Old Topo Depot oldtopos at novacell.com
Thu Oct 25 01:37:43 GMT 2012

Hi Greg,

Thanks for sharing your concerns re Google Hangout.  We've had similar
comments from others and having discussions about what we can do to help
address such concerns.

Having said that, I will also say that the ability to see, as well as hear,
the other folks on the call (even though they're a bit tiny) is a boon to
better communications.

I'm hoping others on the list will provide suggestions regarding
alternatives to Hangout that are equally functional.

Best,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> writes:
>
> > The newly elected US Chapter board will have its first official
> > meeting tonight at 5PM PDT / 8PM EDT. We're going to try a Google
> > Hangout. Everyone is welcome to listen in!
> >
> > https://plus.google.com/events/c91rctgp4ia8cq3ffqo914lvvus
>
> (I'm not a member, and I'm not likely to attend these meetings anyway;
> my time available for OSM is erratic.)
>
> I realize google hangouts may be convenient (and free), but I've been
> concerned by a growing trend in free software (to include open data)
> projects to use proprietary tools and services, and particularly
> services that have bad privacy practices.  I realize I'm in a minority
> by declining to have a google account or a facebook account, but I
> think that from an open project governance viewpoint people shouldn't be
> encouraged to deal with google/facebook/etc.
>
> That said, I don't have any concrete or useful suggestions about
> alternatives (beyond IRC or XMPP).  I just felt compelled to point out
> the issue.

John Novak
585-OLD-TOPOS (585-653-8676)