[Talk-us] NHD Imports

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sun Oct 28 00:15:08 GMT 2012

On 10/27/2012 7:28 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> Before I bring this up on the imports list, I thought I'd ask the US
> community about their opinion about importing the data.

   I agree that it is a good idea to import NHD.   It is an asset when
doing surveys and updates: you can review it for any changes and make
corrections.

   - Use the latest tools and techniques to create the NHD dataset.
   - Review tag assignments for the area of interest.
   - Merge it into the existing ways - preserve existing hydro work when
possible. For water features that you created yourself, you can decide
whether to replace with NHD data.

   On the other hand, I believe NHD should not be imported into US "OSM
Edit deserts".   It's best to wait until there is a community who wants
an NHD import.   In the meantime, the NHD for that area may be updated
and when it is finally imported, it will be as fresh as possible.