[Talk-us] MapRoulette new challenge: connectivity

the Old Topo Depot oldtopos at novacell.com
Mon Oct 29 22:45:34 GMT 2012

There is a TIGER editing page at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup which is a good start.  I'm
sure it can be improved.

Having edited connectivity errors across the US, I can say that the large
majority of fixes are obvious and simple.  In general, (and I realize I'm
wandering into dangerous territory with this) the tougher fixes are in the
larger metro areas, where road networks are more complex and features
densities higher than in rural areas.  If you're a newer editor there's a
large collection of simple unconnectedness across the US and, as your
skills improve, you can venture into the urban areas with more confidence.

A good Rule of Thumb is to simply skip it if you're not sure what you're
about to do is correct.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Ivan Komarov <jkomarov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> > I wouldn't really know how to classify the problems you see in TIGER,
> > though. Misalignment is definitely a major one. Misclassification as
> > well, due to dubious choices at import (most 'residential' should
> > actually be 'unclassified', for example) and there are lots of roads
> > that I would tag tertiary that are lowest paved road class (A41,
> > mapped to residential in OSM). Others?
>
> Based on the current agreement on the highway classification, "routes"
> should maintain their type along their length. Now the road types are
> often assigned after TIGER classification so different road's pieces
> have different types [1]. Instead, the same type should be used along
> the whole road (trunk for WI 57 case, I believe) and other tags should
> be used to refine road properties, like number of lanes, smoothness,
> maxspeed etc.
>
> [1] http://osm.org/go/ZVf4SNj
>
> Ivan.

John Novak