[Talk-us] MapRoulette new challenge: connectivity

Ivan Komarov jkomarov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 21:57:14 GMT 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> I wouldn't really know how to classify the problems you see in TIGER,
> though. Misalignment is definitely a major one. Misclassification as
> well, due to dubious choices at import (most 'residential' should
> actually be 'unclassified', for example) and there are lots of roads
> that I would tag tertiary that are lowest paved road class (A41,
> mapped to residential in OSM). Others?

Based on the current agreement on the highway classification, "routes"
should maintain their type along their length. Now the road types are
often assigned after TIGER classification so different road's pieces
have different types [1]. Instead, the same type should be used along
the whole road (trunk for WI 57 case, I believe) and other tags should
be used to refine road properties, like number of lanes, smoothness,
maxspeed etc.

[1] http://osm.org/go/ZVf4SNj

Ivan.