[Talk-us] Schizophrenic highway

Sun Sep 16 02:41:01 BST 2012

At 2012-09-15 16:05, Greg Troxel wrote:

>Charlotte Wolter <techlady at techlady.com> writes:
>
> >         I'm working on US 50 near Trenton, Ill. Here's the location:
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=38.61248&lon=-89.68529&zoom=16
> >         It looks like, at one point there were plans to turn this into
> > a motorway. In two spots in a 25-mile stretch, intersections have been
> > turned into cloverleafs and the highway divided. In other locations,
> > roads that used to intersect US 50 have been turned into
> > overpasses. There are even a couple of bridges for a second lane but
> > no evidence of any construction work actually to build that lane. The
> > vast majority of the highway is still two-lane blacktop.
> >         So how does one tag this, as a primary road that just has a
> > couple of cloverleafs?
>
>My take is:
>
>   motorway: truly meets interstate specs for extended periods - multi
>   lane, no at-grade intersections.  I would not tag something as
>   motorway when it's only sometimes motorway unless it's ~10 miles long.

US101 near Ventura, CA, goes back and forth among freeway/primary/trunk
over relatively short stretches. There are, however, "Begin Freeway" and
"End Freeway" signs that tell you exactly which sections are motorway. This
might be a DOT requirement.

SR-1 south of Oxnard is similar. Here's the location of such a sign going
northbound: 34.112471°, -119.081681°