[Talk-us] Schizophrenic highway

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Sun Sep 16 03:10:58 BST 2012

Clay Smalley <claysmalley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> >
> >   I would not tag something as
> >   motorway when it's only sometimes motorway unless it's ~10 miles
> long.
> Going off this: I remember a discussion earlier about this sort of
> thing. Someone (I forgot who) said that the "Is this a freeway?"
> question should be asked about every 5-10 miles.

There is one ring-road route in Nashville, Briley Parkway, that is partly limited-access road of motorway quality, and part ordinary street with traffic lights, intersecting driveways, and the like.  About half of the ordinary-street section is only two lanes wide.

Just to add to the confusion, some of the streets that were joined together to complete the ring kept their original names, meaning that the name changes every two or three miles.

John F. Eldredge --  john at jfeldredge.com