[Talk-us] Remap-a-tron level 2 complete! Suggestions for level 3?

Brian May bmay at mapwise.com
Fri Sep 28 16:08:23 BST 2012

+1

Nick, maybe as a step before your suggestion.

1) New streets with no names. In Florida, there's a large number of new
streets that contributors have added, but did not add a name. The TIGER
2012 overlay helps make quick work of adding these names. In many cases,
streets will need to be split on curves where the street name changes.
An improvement to this process is having a list of names from TIGER 2012
to choose from, like a pick list of streets within the current bounding
box. This would avoid retying the names. But people should also expand
the street name abbreviations, like Ave to Avenue. Maybe try to automate
much of the abbreviation expansion as well.

Other thoughts:

A lot of counties still have a lot of old TIGER with fairly horrific
street alignment. Focusing on these areas in the remap-a-tron effort
would be a huge help. I often wonder if new people look at this garbage
and think to themselves - "Look at these crazy streets! OSM sucks, why
bother?"

And for the Level 4 suggestion - as has been noted on the list before,
unedited TIGER streets with no names constitutes a very large number of
ways which are dirt roads that may or may not still be there in large
tracts of land. Also long driveways. These ways contribute a whole lot
of noise to the map.

Brian