[Talk-us] Remap-a-tron level 2 complete! Suggestions for level 3?

the Old Topo Depot oldtopos at novacell.com
Sat Sep 29 22:33:44 BST 2012

Statements that we should fix all the unedited TIGER data express a Great
Idea.  They are, however, rather ambitious statements, and will require
more than a few weeks to completely realize.  As such, cleaning up US TIGER
data is a Long Term goal, and does not say anything regarding how we might
prioritize and coordinate work to realize this goal.

Given the size of the effort, it's crucial that work is organized in
smaller, more bite-sized pieces, so that we can all celebrate the
completion every few weeks of a portion of the work.

Here are some suggestions:

Order US counties by population, largest first, review primary, secondary
and tertiary ways (NE2 and other have been systematically reviewing
interstates and other number routes over the last few months), compare with
TIGER 2012, correct way attributes, and register road geometry to aerial
photography

or

Order US counties by population, largest first, and review all ways (in way
class order)  that have not been edited in the last six months, compare
with TIGER 2012, correct way attributes, and register road geometry to
aerial photography

or ....

I will also point out that the connectivity errors I mentioned earlier are,
in fact, largely a result of unedited TIGER data (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup, for example) and do present
a well defined subset of issues to focus upon.  A secondary, and perhaps
less obvious, benefit of addressing road network connectivity issues is the
significant increase in quality of routes generated by tools such as OSRM (
http://project-osrm.org/).  There exists significant interest on OSM as a
data source for routing and navigation applications (
http://www.slideshare.net/dnesbitt61/sotm-us-routing, and others), and
showing progress in this area could be a large boost to the rate of OSM
adoption.

In any case, it's important to come to agreement on a set of constrained,
well defined short term goals that demonstrate steady progress to help keep
everyone engaged and motivated.

Best,

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Charlotte Wolter <techlady at techlady.com>wrote:

> **        **I also think it would be great, if we could focus on unedited
> TIGER. That would clean up the map a lot. There may be some technical
> challenges, but overal it would be a good thing.
> **        **I know someone suggested roads without a name, though I think
> there was discussion that would be technically difficult and also might
> produce a lot of focus on country roads and tracks that never have had a
> name. However, if we limit it to roads changed by the redaction, that might
> be one way to restore the names from TIGER that were lost.
> **        **Some things I would like to see in the future include editing
> all the national parks. I know that there is data on their Web sites,
> which, I think, is all public domain. That would be a good thing to do.
>
> Best,
>
> Charlotte
>

> At 12:40 AM 9/29/2012, you wrote:
>
> I think the most necessary cleanup to the USA OSM data is to clean up all
> the crazy unedited original Tiger roads.
>
> These can easily be identified simply as those ways that have a name but
> are still the original Tiger data and have not been edited. (except for the
> balrog-kun bot). You could just identify spots not closer together than
> (say) 1 mile and that would allow the editor to have a nice piece of real
> estate to clean up each time.
> It is quite fun doing this since (with the help of TIGER 2012) overlay and
> Bing imagery, it is usually possible to determine which road goes where and
> you see an enormous improvement in the map for relatively small efforts.
>
> If the remap-a-tron identifies an area where all the original; TIGER data
> was correct, then no problems, we just flag it as good and move on, but at
> least that area has now been eyeballed by a real person who probably will
> be able to add in a few new TIGER 2012 roads if they have the overlay
> active.

> **
>
> ** Charlotte Wolter
> 927 18th Street Suite A
> Santa Monica, California
> 90403
> +1-310-597-4040
> techlady at techlady.com
> Skype: thetechlady
>
> *The Four Internet Freedoms*
> Freedom to visit any site on the Internet
> Freedom to access any content or service that is not illegal
> Freedom to attach any device that does not interfere with the network
> Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that would
> affect the first three freedoms.

John Novak
585-OLD-TOPOS (585-653-8676)