[Talk-us] Remap-a-tron level 2 complete! Suggestions for level 3?

Brian May bmay at mapwise.com
Sun Sep 30 05:10:00 BST 2012

On 9/29/2012 5:33 PM, the Old Topo Depot wrote:
> Statements that we should fix all the unedited TIGER data express a
> Great Idea.  They are, however, rather ambitious statements, and will
> require more than a few weeks to completely realize.  As such,
> cleaning up US TIGER data is a Long Term goal, and does not say
> anything regarding how we might prioritize and coordinate work to
> realize this goal.
>
> Given the size of the effort, it's crucial that work is organized in
> smaller, more bite-sized pieces, so that we can all celebrate the
> completion every few weeks of a portion of the work.

As for prioritization -- from what I have seen, unedited tiger comes in
different flavors that varies by county. Some counties started out with
decent tiger and look pretty good even if they haven't been edited much,
some look pretty good but have some issues like over-noding or braided
streets, and some counties contain the crazy / borderline junk street
geometry. And then counties may be in various states of repair,
depending on the level of activity in fixing them up.

I propose we make a list of say the top 25 "crazy" counties by
population, and postpone work on the ones that started with decent tiger
or have already had significant cleanup efforts done already. For
example, Broward County FL was horrible, but looks pretty good now due
to a lot of realignment effort there. Palm Beach County FL started out
pretty good, hasn't needed huge amounts of work, and a lot of the
streets are still original unedited tiger. Seminole County FL was and
still is pretty bad in many spots.

And I will reiterate that I think possibly a precursor to the crazy
tiger fixup step is focusing on adding street names to the new
residential streets that have been added with no names. If you look at
the Geofabrik OSM Inspector Highways View and just look at the Highway
name/ref -> None (major) and None (minor) you can easily spot these. And
it does not show tiger streets, just new ones added by contributors.
They are all over the place, especially in high growth areas around
large major metros where the old tiger did not have the latest
subdivisions, say from 2003 and later.

Another separate effort could be overlay tiger 2012 with existing OSM
streets to find areas where there are new streets in the 2012 tiger and
no streets in osm.

And maybe have different remapatron modes, e.g. "crazy tiger" mode,
"streets with no name" mode, and "empty hoods" mode.

Brian