[Talk-us] Shining example of OSM use, tarnished.

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 04:32:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the issue? Other than the zoom/pan icons missing, it looks fine to
> me:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/5ANaNMB.png
>
> I wonder, if you really tried to use the map?

I wish they wouldn't have used OpenStreetMap data because this gives the
project a bad name.   The positive in all this is that wh.gov actually
showed the OSM credit.

Issues
1.) Perhaps they are trying to justify using Google or Bing i.e. OSM and OL
is so crappy let's use Google.
2.) I don't know why cartographers insist on using four year old OSM data,
if that is what the (c) 2009 means.  In any event it is old old ancient OSM
data as far as OSM goes.  Perhaps way before the license redaction.
3.) I had trouble using the pop-ups after clicking on several of them.
4.) I am guessing part of the problem is an older version of OL merged with
JQuery.
5.) The messages of these people were lost because of these problems.

Regards,
Greg