[Talk-us] Shining example of OSM use, tarnished.

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 13:19:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM, Greg Morgan <dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the issue? Other than the zoom/pan icons missing, it looks fine to
>> me:
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/5ANaNMB.png
>>
>> I wonder, if you really tried to use the map?
>

> I wish they wouldn't have used OpenStreetMap data because this gives the
> project a bad name.   The positive in all this is that wh.gov actually
> showed the OSM credit.
>
> Issues
> 1.) Perhaps they are trying to justify using Google or Bing i.e. OSM and
> OL is so crappy let's use Google.
> 2.) I don't know why cartographers insist on using four year old OSM data,
> if that is what the (c) 2009 means.  In any event it is old old ancient OSM
> data as far as OSM goes.  Perhaps way before the license redaction.
> 3.) I had trouble using the pop-ups after clicking on several of them.
> 4.) I am guessing part of the problem is an older version of OL merged
> with JQuery.
> 5.) The messages of these people were lost because of these problems.

I imagine this page has simply grown old and bit-rotted. After all, it was
created roughly 4 years ago:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2009-May/001123.html

We've done our best to point the problem out to those that can do anything
about it, so there's no point in continuing our complaints here.

Please do not continue this thread.