[Talk-us] route relations and non-rendering of shields

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Mon Aug 5 00:25:22 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-04 1:21 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
> there are some NYS routes where we want to build relations, but we don't
> actually want any sort of ref tag or shield rendering, at least not by
> default.
> these are the NYS reference routes, generally numbered 9xx followed by
> a letter. four of these routes have signs posted, none of the others do.
>
> i've generally, instead of
>
>      ref=
>
> used
>
>      ref:unsigned=
>
> for the reference.  i'm not wedded to this, and am willing to entertain
> alternatives. is there something that is preferable given that the shield
> rendering is coming along?

unsigned_ref is currently used on 31,578 ways and 381 relations. [1]
That's what I'm using for counties that only post their route numbers on
mileposts, since you can't navigate by these numbers. [2][3]

That brings up another issue: in many parts of Ohio, county route
numbers are included on sign blades [5] or ordinary directional signs
[6] but don't have dedicated shields. I'm using ref for these numbers,
because it is possible to navigate by them. But the shield renderer
gives refs on highway=secondary or =tertiary the usual capsule badges,
since no shield template has been specified. Any chance refs with
unknown networks could be drawn like they are on highway=unclassified --
as bold, unadorned text -- regardless of the highway tag?

[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/unsigned_ref
[2] http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/countysigns/cr14.jpg
[3] http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/countysigns/clinton14m.jpg
[4] http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/countysigns/wyando24.jpg