[Talk-us] Separate relations for each direction of US & State highways.

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Thu Dec 5 16:28:54 UTC 2013

I think the unsigned_ref practice is so common here that we should
just keep that practice. Perhaps also a good one to document on the
wiki. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Directions_In_The_United_States
may not be the best place for it unless we want to make this page
cover the broader scope of highway designation and signage in the U.S.
(which I think would be great! but also would require a bit of
dedication and time..)

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
> On 11/30/13 4:54 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>

> 2013/11/30 Peter Davies <peter.davies at crc-corp.com>
>>
>> So we have way ref I 394 instead of I 394;US 12.  For my applications I'd
>> prefer it said I 394;US 12, because we need to track the overlaps (which we
>> and our 10 state DOT customers call double banding).  But if you also want
>> to suppress shields from maps in such areas, could we enter the way ref as I
>> 394;US 12|unsigned  ?
>

> Usually you would have (at least) 2 relations, one for each ref. The way ref
> (if set at all) will often have multiple values, semicolon separated. Not
> sure if you have a different agreement in the US, but it doesn't matter if
> the ref is signed or not, as long as you can find it in some kind of
> publicly available documentation (with compatible licensing).
>
> in the US, we've been trying to use unsigned_ref= for situations where the
> road
> has a designation but no signage. County routes in Westchester and Onondaga
> Counties
> in NY are examples of this. additionally, many of the highways in the NYS
> parkway
> system have public designations like "Taconic State Parkway" but they also
> have
> unsigned reference numbers in the state inventory, so ref=TSP combined with
> unsigned_ref=<inventory number> is the way we've been going.
>
> richard

Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/
http://openstreetmap.us/