[Talk-us] Civil War Mapping

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Feb 22 15:49:33 UTC 2013

[the following includes a message that Adam cc'd to the list that
probably got into the moderator queue]

On 2/22/13 9:03 AM, Adam Schreiber wrote:
> On 2/21/13, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
>> i look forward to it. is there any particular mapping task i should look
>> for at Spotsylvania?
> Last spring and summer, the Spotsylvania Battlefield was redoing a lot
> of their informational signs.  The signs were there, but the
> information plate was removed.  Some are on the map with labels and
> some without.  I think most that didn't have the info plate weren't
> mapped.  There's also a trail that cuts through the woods from the
> road bend parking at the Mule Shoe Salient to a spring house and some
> ruins that used to be closed.  I also haven't mapped any of the signed
> driving routes outside of the park.

i'll look at the unmapped signs.

also, on a related note, does anyone have any thoughts about good ways
to mark tour stops with existing tags? i'm thinking ref for the actual stop
number, but what in the tourism category would work for the general area
of the stop? usually there's a small parking area or pulloff, a couple of
informational signs, and frequently a trail of some sort, sometimes as long
as 1/4 mile or so (longer trails are generally point-to-point and not really
part of the stop.)

do we need a site relation of some sort, a bag to contain all the bits that
combine to form the stop?

richard