[Talk-us] Update on highway shield rendering

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 18:21:21 UTC 2013

direction is not part of the name and shouldn't be tagged in the name. I know especially NE2 has done that everywhere but it doesn't make sense. Signs usually say east,west,north,south  not (*bound).
The wiki is not consistent itself on the interstate relations page. It's important information and often signed with an additional shield. So I think best is to remove it from the name and put it in a extra tag called direction or something more specific since this is a US specific thing and direction is often different from a geographic direction on certain segments. Thought we had this tag at some time documented but right now it's not in the wilki. This makes also more sense if a routing software needs to announce correct instructions. It's a lot easier to have a clearly defined tag instead the need to parse complicated names.