[Talk-us] Steady increase in the number of mappers in the US

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Jul 19 16:36:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Alex Barth <alex at mapbox.com> wrote:

> The local dimension of OpenStreetMap was exactly why OSM US decided to do
> #editathons. There's one happening this weekend, join us.
>
> http://openstreetmap.us/2013/07/july-summer-editathon/

Our group is signed up.  (Seattle)

> Well I've been promoting this event quite enough on this list so I'm sure
> everyone of you already has this on the radar :) But share it in your
> networks if you haven't yet. It's not too late.

We have been. We have invited members of the local open source gis
community to attend as well as the City of Renton's gis team to attend. We
are holding the event in the suburb of Renton. Additionally we have reached
out, as best as we can, to new mappers. Unfortunately OSM doesn't make it
easy to do a mass mailing. It actually doesn't even give the ability!

> In terms of publicity, it's exactly stuff like this that gets us into the
> papers, like here:
> http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/07/what-happens-when-everyone-makes-maps/277850/(interesting to point out that the coverage of the NYC event is the merit
> of the local group btw, and not the OSM us chapter).
>
> Editathons are just one thing to encourage people to get together and
> organize a local event. There might be other things that the OSM US chapter
> can lend support with. Speaking as the OSM US chapter Secretary:
> suggestions and active help are always welcome!

Alex, what I'm trying to do is get us thinking about how to increase the
number of active mappers. If you are happy with the track we are on, fine,
you don't have to do anything. But I believe that increasing the number of
active mappers should be one of our goals. I threw out
a brainstorming list. It certainly wasn't complete nor even tested. The
ambassador program was just a suggestion. I certainly wasn't suggesting
that people are not  acting as ambassadors already. But would more help?
Would funding help? I think the answers are yes and yes. It makes for sense
to me that instead of everyone looking for funding, that having it
centrally managed make sense.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch