[Talk-us] Steady increase in the number of mappers in the US

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 17:25:14 UTC 2013

On 07/19/2013 11:06 AM, Kathleen Danielson wrote:
> Kai-- those are some really great ideas around publicity!
>
> Personally, I think we'd need a dedicated PR person on staff to fully
> accomplish this. That's not really feasible in the near term, though--
> so maybe we should think about ways that we can break that down into
> volunteer-sized tasks?

One good start might be to collect information about what has already
being done.

e.g. on the site
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap_in_the_media

i.e. make sure that all of the articles that are known about are listed
and whether anyone in the community worked with the press to make it happen.

For events like conferences or trade shows, it might be worth to create
a little wiki page about what was done, when and by whom ( e.g. like
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Boot_D%C3%BCsseldorf_2012 ) and add
it to the wiki category
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Promotion So far the ones
listed are mostly in German speaking countries. We need to be able to
add some things in the US as well!

That might give some help to figure out who to talk to if you are
planning something yourself.

 This seems like a great Birthday Sprint
> project... (hint hint...)

Yes, that would be a good topic and might go well with beer, cake and
celebrations...