[Talk-us] Steady increase in the number of mappers in the US

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Sat Jul 20 02:10:35 UTC 2013

Hello all,

         While I agree with Clifford that more publicity is essential
to grow the organization, another strategy that might be effective is
to work through organizations that could have a use for the maps or
for mapping as a teaching exercise. We don't have direct access to
large audiences of potential members, such as students or business
people, but we could work with their organizations to reach them.
         Groups, such as science teachers, could add OpenStreetMap to
their lesson plans. They could be reached through their national convention.
         Local business can be reached through groups, such as the
Chamber of Commerce or Jaycees. Articles in their national
newsletters or presentations at their national conventions could
reach large numbers.
         I'm sure you all can think of other examples of
organizations that might work this way.
         Of course, in cases such as this we would have to reach out
and establish relationships with their national organizations. This
is the kind of thing that needs to be done in a coordinated fashioin,
not just someone going out and doing it on their own. But it would be
a lot more cost-effective in reaching large numbers than trying get
to individuals directly.

Charlotte

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that
would affect the first three freedoms.