[Talk-us] Best way to tag mile and interpretive markers?

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Jul 23 02:12:25 UTC 2013

On 7/22/13 9:24 PM, Thomas Colson wrote:
> This draws me back to my original E911 discussion: Many calls we get start
> with "I just passed MM 9..". Thus MMs have value. And yes, each DOT has
> their own MM "scheme". Maddening to follow, even more maddening when
> numerous mappers have a different "interpretation" . I propose signed or
> posted MM's only. Perhaps some clarification on the Wiki..

very careful clarification.

we probably don't want to record the reference markers on primary and
secondary roads in NYS, they're at 1/10 mile intervals, and the route
numbers on them don't always match the route numbers on the larger
road signs. being able to tag information on the way or relation about
how they are generated might be interesting for emergency response
applications.

richard