[Talk-us] Neighborhoods / Zillow

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Jun 11 19:57:56 UTC 2013

Yea, I think this is where sources like Geonames and Zillow, which are
built (to an extent) based on actual perceived names rather than official
ones, could be so valuable - and why GNIS populated places are detrimental
to OSM map quality, at least in many urban areas.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>wrote:

> My house is technically in a subdivision named Murray Heights, but I have
> only seen that name on the deed, and on maps. In the 21 years I have lived
> here, I have never heard anyone use that name. The subdivision was built in
> the late 1950s, and, unlike some other local subdivisions, there aren't any
> permanent signs in place as you enter the subdivision.
>
> According to the post office, my house is in the Woodbine postal district,
> named after a small town that was subsequently swallowed up by the
> expansion of Nashville. However, when people refer to the Woodbine area,
> they usually mean the approximate area of the old town, several miles from
> my house.
>
> I usually refer to my neighborhood as Antioch, the name of another small
> town that has expanded outward, even though the official border of Antioch,
> according to the post office, is about 300 feet from my house.
>

> Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

>>> a survey; I'd need to see an organization map which would be of
>>> questionable license.
>>>
>>> or ask the people that live there, would that be feasible?
>>

>> Sometimes subdivisions map cleanly to neighborhoods.  But not always.
>>
>> In the USA aspirational neighborhoods are common, if not the rule.  As a
>> neighborhood gets trendy more and more people at the edges (and more and
>> more Realtors) latch on to that name.
>>
>> The Zillow data is a very rigid idea of what a neighborhood is.
>> Walk three blocks away from "Noe Valley" and ask what neighborhood you
>> are in,
>> and you're likely to get four answers.  Capturing that diversity would
>> produce a far more useful neighborhood guide than just importing Zillow.

> --
> John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
> "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not
> to think at all." -- Hypatia of Alexandria

Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/
http://openstreetmap.us/