[Talk-us] Neighborhoods / Zillow

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Tue Jun 11 20:11:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

> As for Bryce's observation - Zillow does not have overlapping polygons as
> far as I know, so it is by its nature sort of rigid - but then again this
> is probably what they require for their use case, as there would be no way
> to disambiguate.

That said, neighborhoods are known to be fuzzy concepts, and getting a
person close to the right one has value.  The zillow data for example could
be brought in as point features.  While it seems a shame, it would remove
that whole issue of boundaries.   Often (not always, but often) the
neighborhood does in fact have a well defined central core.