[Talk-us] US Bicycle Routes in KY, TN, AL, MS, and GA

KerryIrons irons54vortex at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 10 14:35:57 UTC 2013

Richard,

Thanks for your comments.  While we do not have the reach or funding of
Sustrans, our efforts are very similar in developing the US Bicycle Route
System.  We use the UK's National Cycle Network (as well as EuroVelo and the
Canadian Route Verte) as one of our example templates when we communicate to
US organizations.

Indeed our goal in reaching out to the OSM community is to make sure that
mapping efforts are coordinated and that there is effective communication
with the involved parties.  We have been using Google Maps as a technology
to develop and share proposed bicycle routes with the relevant agencies as
we seek official designation of those routes.  We have struggled with how to
maintain a national level map system that is accurate and up to date.  OSM
may provide us with that vehicle but it is early days and we have a lot to
learn.

Kerry