[Talk-us] US Bicycle Routes in KY, TN, AL, MS, and GA

Minh Nguyen mxn at 1ec5.org
Mon Mar 11 01:21:58 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-10 3:47 PM, KerryIrons wrote:
> And this is a bit off topic (forgive me as I am new here) but why is there
> no scale displayed on OSM/OCM maps?  Likewise why do large city names not
> show up until you zoom in?  At roughly above "half way" on the detail scale
> the names Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, New York City,
> Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Denver, London, Paris, Berlin,
> Amsterdam, Rome and on and on don't show up.  It seems just the opposite of
> Google Maps where you don't see the suburbs' names until you zoom in - in
> OSM/OCM you only see (some) suburbs' names until you zoom in.

If you're viewing the standard or cycle maps at osm.org, there should be
a scale at the bottom-right corner.

I never understood OpenCycleMaps' city label algorithm. (The behavior is
similar to the Osmarender map that was finally abandoned last year.) I
prefer Waymarked Trails [1] anyhow. It's just a series of thematic
overlays atop the standard osm.org map, but it provides a handy tool for
browsing data about each trail in the visible area. It also leaves out
any proposed trails, renders multiplexed routes with far fewer glitches,
and seems to update more frequently.

[1] http://cycling.waymarkedtrails.org/

--
Minh Nguyen <mxn at 1ec5.org>