[Talk-us] key source:maxspeed

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 16:28:08 UTC 2013

Hi folk,

I'm a mapper from Italy since 2008 but registered to this list only
now, mainly to post this. Some mappers, apparently from the US, are
using the key "source:maxspeed" to add metadata (the way the data was
collected and/or the source of the data) to the database.
Unfortunately this tag is already in different use for several years.

The general usage is according to the wiki:
distinguish between implicit and explicit speed limits (i.e. the
default maxspeed in the context (urban, rural, motorway) and sign
posted limits). The idea is to always add maxspeed=number(unit like
mph or kmh) to highways and to distinguish where the limit comes from
with the additional key source:maxspeed.

Now there seems to be some people who add different values like
"massgis" or 'FDOT␣"Maximum␣Speed␣Limits"␣GIS␣data,␣updated␣August␣27,␣2011:␣http://www.dot.state.fl.us/planning/statistics/gis/roaddata.shtm'
At first glance this looked like an import to me, but apparently it is
single very active mappers who use the tag in this way.

I'd kindly ask you to use another tag for the information (preferably
you could add the source to the changeset comment, but also a similar
key like "maxspeed:source" would be fine).

Maybe we could also change the existing keys with the 2 above
mentioned values to this new key?

What is your opinion on this?

cheers,
Martin