[Talk-us] key source:maxspeed

the Old Topo Depot oldtopos at novacell.com
Thu Mar 21 17:23:16 UTC 2013

I have used source:maxspeed=sign to indicate collection from a physical
speed limit sign during a survey, and agree with Ian that the previously
cited cases are an acceptable use of source:maxspeed.

This is not the only case where multiple tagging schemes are used; it's one
of the joys of crowd/community dynamics

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
> dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The general usage is according to the wiki:
>> distinguish between implicit and explicit speed limits (i.e. the
>> default maxspeed in the context (urban, rural, motorway) and sign
>> posted limits). The idea is to always add maxspeed=number(unit like
>> mph or kmh) to highways and to distinguish where the limit comes from
>> with the additional key source:maxspeed.
>>

> Since you didn't give specific examples I can't speak in specifics, but it
> sounds like the mapper adding that value for the `source:maxspeed` tag is
> using the tag correctly. They are specifying the source for the speedlimit
> tag. They found the maxspeed value in a PDF somewhere.

John Novak
585-OLD-TOPOS (585-653-8676)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnanovak/
OSM ID:oldtopos