[Talk-us] key source:maxspeed

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 17:06:44 UTC 2013

2013/3/21 Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The general usage is according to the wiki:
>> distinguish between implicit and explicit speed limits (i.e. the
>> default maxspeed in the context (urban, rural, motorway) and sign
>> posted limits). The idea is to always add maxspeed=number(unit like
>> mph or kmh) to highways and to distinguish where the limit comes from
>> with the additional key source:maxspeed.
>

> Since you didn't give specific examples I can't speak in specifics, but it
> sounds like the mapper adding that value for the `source:maxspeed` tag is
> using the tag correctly. They are specifying the source for the speedlimit
> tag. They found the maxspeed value in a PDF somewhere.

isn't that maxspeed:source? I was refering to this page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Speed_limits and to this one:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source:maxspeed
which until lately was defining the meaning of source:maxspeed (since 2009)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:source:maxspeed&oldid=811330

unfortunately this defined meaning now starts to break as people are
using this (once) well established tag in different ways. I was very
happy with source:maxspeed by the time the tag was invented, but I
didn't care much neither. In the end what is important is that we all
use the same tag to describe the same thing. After almost one year of
discussion on this issue (how to differentiate implicit maxspeeds on
roads) I was fine with whatever tag.

There was also a discussion about this tag in 2009 and the wiki page
was created to document the outcome of this discussion. There had been
other discussions before on tagging and local list, e.g. the German
list in 2008: http://www.mail-archive.com/talk-de@openstreetmap.org/msg17726.html
(quite longish thread)
Couldn't find the discussion in talk or tagging, but I am sure it was
there. Maybe someone else is more lucky.

cheers,
Martin