[Talk-us] key source:maxspeed

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 11:05:32 UTC 2013

2013/3/23 Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com>:
> It’s worth noting that source:maxspeed=sign is the most common value. I
> looked at the last-touched authors for a couple of the country:region values
> and for sign and survey and it was my impression that sign and survey had a
> wider distribution of users using them.

yes, fortunately. The problem I see is not with sign (proposed tag for
explicit/sign-posted maxspeeds since the beginning of source:maxspeed)
but with FDOT␣"Maximum␣Speed␣Limits", "massgis" and "survey", which
don't permit to distinguish an explicit from an implicit speed limit.
Less fortunate is the value "implicit" as it doesn't convey
information about the context (inside a closed settlement vs. outside,
which has implications on the maxspeed value at least in Europe), but
at least it indicates the absence of an explicit sign.

cheers,
Martin