[Talk-us] key source:maxspeed

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 18:42:05 UTC 2013

source:maxspeed examples of use seems appropriate and match the wiki links
as they currently are.  The changes to the wiki seem to cover using this
tag is many places in the US where roads are explicitly tagged and the
source can only be from survey(sign) or a database/records.  The tag
examples you gave seem to indicate your only referring to use in the US.

That said.  What is an example of this tagging causing problems?  Well I
guess "Survey" and "Implicit" are vague, and I would guess those should be
"sign" and the implicit standard respectively.  But I still do not see a
real issue if this tag is used as the data source so it can be
verified/updated.  Is this used some other way?

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2013/3/23 Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com>:
> > It’s worth noting that source:maxspeed=sign is the most common value. I
> > looked at the last-touched authors for a couple of the country:region
> values
> > and for sign and survey and it was my impression that sign and survey
> had a
> > wider distribution of users using them.
>

> yes, fortunately. The problem I see is not with sign (proposed tag for
> explicit/sign-posted maxspeeds since the beginning of source:maxspeed)
> but with FDOT␣"Maximum␣Speed␣Limits", "massgis" and "survey", which
> don't permit to distinguish an explicit from an implicit speed limit.
> Less fortunate is the value "implicit" as it doesn't convey
> information about the context (inside a closed settlement vs. outside,
> which has implications on the maxspeed value at least in Europe), but
> at least it indicates the absence of an explicit sign.
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Dale Puch