[Talk-us] [Imports-us] Baltimore Building Outlines Import

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat May 4 16:35:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Matthew Petroff
<openstreetmap at mpetroff.net>wrote:

> Using QGIS, I assigned approximate street addresses to each building using
> parcel map [3] and used the field calculator to clean up the labels and
> remove
> abbreviations. In addition, I removed all data that intersected with
> existing
> buildings to preserve existing work. I then separated the data into smaller
> chunks and converted the Shapefiles to OSM with Merkaartor. After
> simplifying
> Merkaartor's output using osmconvert's "--drop-author" switch, I tagged the
> data with sed, before finally using JOSM to remove duplicate vertices and
> empty
> tags. My only qualm with the data is that some buildings have more nodes
> than
> they need, but I'm not sure what can be done about it besides manually
> reviewing
> and simplifying all 200k+ outlines.

This is a great project. Having building outlines really helps when doing
mapping parties.

I would recommend doing a sample check of parcels and building outlines to
verify that the combined data is accurate. And since you are using parcel
data, is that also Public Domain?

How many more nodes do typical building contain? We found importing
building outlines in Seattle, that the imported outlines were much more
detained, and accurate, than human drawn outlines. More nodes, but much
richer looking outlines.

I would recommend reading wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Imports and adding
your import to the catalog. You can use our import of buildings and
addresses to Seattle as an example. See
wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/SeattleImport

Lastly, how do you plan to actually import the data? Are you using a
script? If so what are you using?

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch