[Talk-us] Baltimore Building Outlines Import

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun May 5 10:10:25 UTC 2013

Matthew,

On 05.05.2013 09:10, Matthew Petroff wrote:
> When run through the JOSM validator, there are no errors, but there are ~47k
> warning, mostly for "crossed buildings" and "building inside building," with a
> few "intersection between multipolygon ways," "self-intersecting ways," and
> "overlapping ways." From the cases I looked at, these are the result of slight
> overlap between adjacent row houses, and I don't think they are an issue.

Overlapping houses should certainly not be uploaded, no matter how
slight the overlap.

I found that in many cases you have adjacent houses using their own
nodes, rather than sharing nodes along the common wall (see
http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/baltimore.png).

I would also recommend getting rid of the "source" tag on every single
object; it is sufficient to place it on the changeset especially if it
can be shown that the data is PD.

In general, proponents of large-scale uploads should also try to answer
the question who will care for the data once it is uploaded. You are
proposing to upload a quarter million houses; is the Baltimore community
large and active enough to take on the responsibility that comes with
such an upload - to at least delete houses that are knocked down or add
major new developments?

Bye
Frederik