[Talk-us] misuse of the landuse=forest tag for national forests

Torsten Karzig Torsten.Karzig at web.de
Sat May 11 22:43:51 UTC 2013

Hello SteveA,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I really appreciate you work for updating
the national forests in southern California.

Before posting I already read the wiki pages you mentioned. For me it
seemed that there is still some dispute about how the tag landuse=forest
is used and there exist different approaches. What I only learned now is
that US National Forests are indeed used for timber harvesting (and not
only for forest protection) so I now fully agree that the natural=wood
tag is inappropriate.

However, one thing which I still find strange is to tag large areas of
scrub (bushes without any trees) as landuse=forest. Somebody using the
map may be surprised when not finding any trees in a region mapped as a
forest.  [The parts of the Angeles National forest that I have seen so
far are dominated by scrub] For me using the landuse=forest tag in this
case seems to contradict the fact that landuse=forest is supposed to
describe woodland.

In an ideally detailed map those parts would be marked as scrub. For me
it seems that what to do in the current situation is a question of what
to take as a default. Your point of view is marking everything as
landuse=forest and manually excluding scrub land. I thought it would be
better to only mark parts as forest which clearly are woodland. Since
your point of view seems to be the standard practice right now, I agree
that it is probably the best to stick to it (although this means, imho,
ignoring the conflicting definitions of scrub and forest).

Buy the way, what is rendered when a region is landuse=forest and
natural=scrub at the same time?

Thanks

Torsten