[Talk-us] Oklahoma disaster mapping

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed May 22 02:50:02 UTC 2013

OK, I'm trying to get started on disaster mapping in the Moore area
following the storm, since we're talking about a 22 mile track that is
affecting navigation and basic mobility in a long swath at the primary
egress to a major metro, not to mention everyday navigation for people
working and doing business in that suburb.  Cleanup is still basically not
even started, and in several cases, buildings were wholly wiped out
including the concrete slab.

So far, the only thing I know concretely would be the general outline of
the disaster area (something I forwarded earlier that got sent to me via
okgis, hopefully it got delivered to the list, if not it's still caught in
moderation), that "moore area" I 35 ramps are open only to emergency
traffic, and many surface streets are open only to emergency traffic.  I
haven't been able to find out specifics (news reports have been vague, even
OklaDOT isn't specifying which I35 exits and normally they're unbelievably
specific), and I can't do a land survey, for obvious reasons (City of Moore
is asking everyone to stay back unless they want to go clean up the
cemetery tomorrow morning, even residents aren't being allowed into the
disaster area).

Any specific information and tagging suggestions would be greatly
appreciated; I recommend people using JOSM grab the geochat plugin to help
coordinate mapping effort (or at least keep an eyeball out for other
mappers working the area).

Rough bounding box for the affected area (plus some margin of error):
35.2181365, -97.7075958
35.3918488, -97.3526001